Thursday, July 1, 2010

Emerald City Diorama






My daughter's favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz and it also ranks high on my list. Whenever I see anything related to the movie, I have to at least stop and look at it. If it is something doll related, it really gets my attention!



A few weeks ago, I was browsing The Doll Market's website, and came across this incredible playscape of the Emerald City! It was beautiful, manufactured by Madame Alexander, and it was deeply discounted - who could ask for more!



My daughter's birthday was almost 2 months away, and I thought this would be the perfect birthday present. Besides that, I kind of "owed" her one. I had given her a smaller Oz scape - made of resin, a couple of years ago to display our petite (5") Wizard of Oz dolls. Several weeks ago, a visiting friend accidentally shook the shelf on which it was sitting, and a few of the pieces were chipped. The damage was not that noticeable, but my daughter is anal and could only focus on the imperfections. I tried finding another, but since the set has been discontinued, the few that I found online were way over priced.



I was delighted to find this set at an affordable price. It is larger than the other, as it was made to display with 8-10" dolls, but it would make a lovely gift and suitable replacement for the set that had been damaged.



UPS delivered it last week and I hid the box out of site. I was going to wait until her birthday to present it, but after reading the terms on the packing slip, decided to give it to her early.

I only had a limited time to claim a refund if the item was damaged, and in order to check for damage, I would have to open the box and put the thing together. I wasn't going to do all of that only to take it apart and return it to the box, so she received it early.



My daughter is an adult, but she looked like a little kid at Christmas when she realized what was in the box and waisted no time setting it up.

What do you think?